Dick's Picks, Volume Nine
Grateful DeadInitial release : October 1997
Grateful Dead Records GDCD-4029
Three CD set from the September 16, 1990 show at Madison Square Garden.
- Hell in a Bucket (Weir/Mydland/Barlow)
- Cold Rain and Snow (Grateful Dead)
- Little Red Rooster (Willie Dixon)
- Stagger Lee (Garcia/Hunter)
- Queen Jane Approximately (Bob Dylan)
- Tennessee Jed (Garcia/Hunter)
- Cassidy (Weir/Barlow)
- Deal (Garcia/Hunter)
- Samson And Delilah (Traditional arr. Weir)
- Iko Iko (J. Jones/S. Jones/M. Jones/J. Thomas/J. Johnson/B. Hawkins/R. Hawkins/J. Crawford)
- Looks Like Rain (Weir/Barlow)
- He's Gone (Garcia/Hunter)
- No MSG Jam (Grateful Dead)
- Drums (Kreutzmann/Hart)
- Space (Grateful Dead)
- Standing On The Moon (Garcia/Hunter)
- Lunatic Preserve (Grateful Dead)
- I Need A Miracle (Weir/Barlow)
- Morning Dew (Dobson/Rose)
- It's All Over Now Baby Blue (Bob Dylan)
- Jerry Garcia - lead guitar, vocals
- Mickey Hart - drums
- Bruce Hornsby - keyboards, accordion, vocals
- Bill Kreutzmann - drums
- Phil Lesh - electric bass, vocals
- Bob Weir - rhythm guitar, vocals
- Vince Welnick - keyboards, vocals
- Recorded by - Dan Healy
- Tape Archivist - Dick Latvala
- CD Mastering - Jeffrey Norman
- Ferromagnetist - John Cutler
- Package design - Gecko Graphics
- Photography - Susana Millman
- Thanks to - Local One I.A.T.S.E., Madison Square Garden, John Scher
- Recorded Live: September 16, 1990 at Madison Square Garden, New York, NY
The rear cover of Dick's Picks 9 carries the following message.
Caveat Emptor :
The rear cover of Dick's Picks, Vol. 1 carried a message briefly explaining the reason for the Dick's Picks series;
Initial studies have concluded that repeated exposure to Grateful Dead music may be habit forming, and can result in a permanent change to the psyche of the listener. While no one has ever successfully reversed this condition, it can sometimes be controlled by repeasted exposure to Grateful Dead music.
Dick's Picks differs from our From The Vault series in that we simply did not have access to complete shows (nor the modern mixing capabilities afforded by multitrack tapes) But we think the historical value and musical quality of these tapes more than compensates for any technical anomalies... In other words what you hear is what you get. And what you get ain't bad!
Dick's Picks 9 was made available as a download from Grateful Dead Productions in November, 2005
Dick's Picks 9 was released for the regular retail market by Real Gone Music in March 2015.
Cassidy from Dick's Picks 9 was included on the promotional sampler;
For information about other releases that include music from this period see the 1990 section of the Dead by Date page.
Dick's Picks is a series of archive releases. For a complete list of releases in the series see the Dick's Picks page.
|Buy from amazon.com|
Buy Real Gone Music edition