San Francisco: The Musical History Tour
A Guide to over 200 of the Bay Area's Most Memorable Music Sites
Author: Joel Selvin
Publication date: 1996
A guide to over 200 sites that are linked in some way to rock, jazz or blues music and musicians.
Includes a section about the Grateful Dead house at 710 Ashbury Street.
From the rear cover:
"Get the real skinny on the Bay Area's most illustrious rock and-roll, jazz, and blues musicians and their favorite digs from the one cat who should know, Joel Selvin, the main man on the nightlife beat for the San Francisco Chronicle. Here are the stories, legends, and secrets behind the clubs, recording studios, homes, and final resting places of hundreds of music greats, from Al Jonson to Green Day. Let Selvin show you such little-known gems as:
With rare archival photographs of pivotal events and places, like the Beatles' last US concert at Candlestick Park, San Francisco: The Musical History Tour is more than a guidebook - it's a trip."
- Janis Joplin's favorite bar and pool room
- Jimi Hendrix's boyhood home
- The steak and lobster restaurant where the Eagles were born
- The hotel that keeps a shrine in the room where Billie Holiday was busted
- The guitar store where the Grateful Dead first met
|Buy from amazon.com|